SFU Venture Labs, 555 W Hastings St, 11th Floor, Vancouver, BC V6B
Join Pieter Dorsman, an active angel investor, board member and advisor for early stage technology companies in this interactive workshop on valuation. Enjoy the insights from the investors, entrepreneurs and experts on our panels.
Valuation is the key term in a term sheet that determines how much each party owns once an investment is made. It also sets the stage for the value of future financings and an eventual exit, as well as related issues such a pricing stock options, debt conversion etc.
The workshop will address:
- Common valuation practices in Canada and the US;
- Pre-revenue valuations;
- The art vs. science discussion;
- Negative outcomes if the agreed valuation is too high or too low;
- Role of the founders/entrepreneurs in setting the right valuation;
- Role of the angel investors in setting the right valuation;
- Risk mitigation strategies (convertible structures, price protection);
- Some notable schools of thought on valuation
- Market trends
The workshop will include a number of case studies that will underline the pitfalls of setting a valuation either too high or too low.
By the end of this module the student will be able to:
- Understand most valuation approaches and apply these in deal situations;
- Negotiate the value of an investment;
- Ensure that a term sheet deals with valuation in a satisfactory manner to both investor and founder
Who should attend
Investors, Founders and Entrepreneurs, CEO’s and CFO’s
12.00 Lunch, Registration & Networking
- What is valuation really?
- Some common theories & approaches to valuation
- Regional and market specific valuations
- Investor’s view
- Founder’s view
- Bridging the valuation gap: convertible, SAFE
- Forward looking approaches
4.45 Questions and Answers
E-Fund investors use promocode efund25 to get 25% off the non-member price